Friday, January 14, 2011

Nesting begins...

*Disclaimer- I, Kelli, am writing this blog... please excuse the grammar..

So this blog first should say take two because I wrote it at school and right after I looked it over for accuracy...the power blinked... and now I have to start all over.

Well, nesting is in full force. As you all read from one of our last post we started transforming the office into a baby friendly area. Sewing machine, guitar/percussion/music paraphernalia, srapbooking stuff, painting supplies, and all the other hobbies that I have picked up through out the years are all moving to the spare bedroom this weekend to make way for my newest life addition our little Aiden. In every aspect of my life I am beginning to have people tell me ..."Oh well you're gonna stop doing that after the baby comes" or "yeah well we'll see what happens after baby"...It's starting to annoy me. I know that my life is about to change drastically, I understood that when I realized I wanted a baby in the first place, but I am still going to have to make time for somethings I enjoy doing. Music and Art will still have to be part of my life, but all the little things I've picked up along the way may be put on the back burner until the little one grows up.( I won't be scuba diving anytime soon :) ) -Sorry for the rant...
So our office renovations are starting with the moving of the furniture this weekend, the installation of french doors to the closet, and the possible ripping up of carpet. As soon as our bedding comes in we will be able to match the paint color to the blue in the bedding and paint the top half of the room. See picture of bedding below:
Room shot is actually what we will be doing to the room pretty much, except NO MONKEYS. We are painting blue on the top of the room, adding wainscoting to the bottom of the wall:  
and are putting in hardwood flooring:

I'm was going to get creative and paint one wall with stripes and polka dots on the top, but now I have reconsidered and decided to take three canvases and paint the bedding design on them and hang them on one wall above the changing table. Here is the furniture we decided on: 
After much consideration and speaking to other parents I have decided that we do not need an armoire for the baby, so we will just be getting the crib and the dresser/changing table. One of my friends from school Hannah, did a lot of research on cribs, I just looked for one I liked. It happened that we both picked the same set of furniture. It makes me feel better that after all her research she picked this one as the most reliable and safe. I'm so excited to start on the renovations/transformation I can't wait to see how it turns out.

So I had a revelation last night. I was standing in the bathroom after brushing my teeth and just looked in the mirror. You can see my bump coming in now thanks to Freddie the fibroid growing inside me along with my little one. I stopped for a minute before going to bed and just realized the miracle of what's happening. For the past month I have seen my stomach grow and every morning I would put on a pair of pants with the misconception that they would fit again... and when they didn't I'd grab what has become my best friend, my maternity pants, and then head off to work. I was feeling like a cow, the scale hasn't changed much at all, with only the addition of a pound, but I would put those pants on and see how big I was slowly getting and just be down on myself.  Chris is great always reminding me "Kelli you are pregnant! Obviously you are growing there is a baby inside you but you are still beautiful". I didn't realized until last night when I looked in the mirror I was still thinking about me, I realized last night that I have a tiny little baby that's the size of a navel orange and about 3.5 oz inside of me, It's all about him now. I teared up with the excitement that filled me at that moment. This morning I woke up and got dressed and realized that I can still feel good about myself while being pregnant because it's not about me gaining weight, it's not about me at all. I realized that pregnancy is one of the most selfless acts that a woman will choose to do. We go through all this stretching of our skin, sometimes the sickness, all the pain, emotional draining, crazy mood swings, tiredness, and gaining of weight; all to bring another human into the world, that we will continue to sacrifice for, for the next 18 years. I looked at my tummy last night and realized I don't care what happens to me, just as long as my little bundle of joy is safe and happy inside me. I hope that I can keep this feeling of happiness instead of being down on myself for the remainder of my pregnancy. I have 25 weeks and 2 days left until I get to meet our little boy and I can't wait! My next milestone that I can not wait to happen is to feel this little one move, I think it will make it even more real!
I gtg back to work now... I have been trying to re-write this since 9:00 this morning and it's now 1:30.
Making red beans and rice with sausage tonight :) Wahoo!!! (I've been STARVING lately so food makes me excited)
Loving my 3 day weekend! Thanks Martin Luther King :)

2 comments:

  1. Kelli, I completely understand your feelings about people telling you that basically your life is going to go down the toilet because your son is going to take up all your time and patience. I have found out that these people couldn't be more wrong. When you are determined you can make anything happen. It also makes a huge difference if you make a conscious decision to start a family. Just brush off the negative advice. I know you and I know you will be an awesome mother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, throw out the scale. And embrace the maternity pants! They aye the most comfortable pants you will ever wear. And don't ink you will get out of the mps too soon after the baby is born. Nobody tells you that. tanner is almost 4 months old now, and I'm still rocking the pants. Just wait until everyone starts rubbing your belly!

    ReplyDelete