Friday, January 21, 2011

Lesson Learned

So the past three days have been spent in excruciating pain. All due to my stubbornness. Here's the story.

This past weekend we were very productive in the transformation of the office to a baby room. All furniture was moved out and into the spare bedroom and the carpet was ripped up to find Hardwood!! But, through all of this I guess I exerted myself a bit too much. Tuesday I went to work and all day walked at grandma pace due to a stabbing pain in my right side. Wednesday I stayed home from work because I could barely walk around. I called the doctor and she said since I wasn't bleeding that it would be ok to wait till Thursday morning to come in. Chris took off work Wednesday because we thought that I would be going in to see the doctor then, but it was nice having him at home to help me out. If you know me, then you know unlike most women, that I hate having someone have to help me. I don't know why but I like to be independent and do things on my own, I never know when to ask for help and I never can admit when something is to much for me to handle. Well most people would have chocked up my pain to a pulled muscle from either pulling up the carpet or the tack stripping, but since I am so lucky to have a fibroid growing inside me (I call him Freddie) I was a little more worried that something was wrong, especially since Freddie is growing on the side I was having pain on.

Let me digress and tell you a little about a fibroid so you will know why I was so worried:
First almost 80-90 percent of all women have fibroids in or on their uterus. Only about 20% of them will grow, usually during pregnancy becasue of the hormones feeding them. There are three types of fibroids that a women can have. One that grows inside her uterus (intracavity), one that grows between the walls of her uterus (intramural), and one that grows off a stalk on the outside of her uterus (Pedunculated, that's what Freddie is).
Here is an illustration (sorry if it's a bit too graphic for you)

So Freddie is like the fibroid on the top of the picture. So I was in a lot of pain and worried because I found out that although having a fibroid on the outside of your uterus is the best possible situation for the baby alot can happen with the fibroid just chillin out there. It can twist it's steam and then degenerate and hurt (kinda stabbing pains like I was having), it can attach itself to an organ or ovary, or it can outgrow it's blood supply and either die from the inside out or transform into a cyst that could rupture and then cause me pain.
Also found out that doctors don't like to remove them for fear of bleeding out to much. So even if I get a C-section I will still have Freddie with me until he goes away after birth (hopefully). Also every pregnancy I have he will grow back again to cause me pain. (He's like a evil villain that just keeps coming back)

So Thursday they looked at Aiden and Freddie, said each of them was growing well.... as well as a fibroid can, and said that I probably pulled a muscle from over exerting myself this weekend. I have learned through three days of pain that it's not worth doing things myself, it's much easier and a lot less painful to say four little words "can you help me" or " I can't do that". Hopefully this weekend I will feel a little better because OUR BEDDING IS ARRIVING TODAY :) and I want to start painting the room. (No worries, I won't stretch too high or work too hard that's for sure :) ) I'm excited to work on this room a little each weekend and see it slowly transform into a room and not just an empty space. I'll leave you with a few pictures of the room so far:

This is right after we ripped the carpet up on Sunday:


This is Monday after I ripped up all the tack strip and then mopped it:


Even if Chris doesn't have faith in himself I have faith in him that he will be able to rent a sander and sand it down and then get the can of polyurethane and stain from Lowe's and put three coats on. This will save us about $600-$700. That's motivation enough for me :) I will now admit that I probably will not be able to help him do any of this, but I still want him to do it :) (I'm sad I won't be able to play with the sander)

I'm so hungry right now :) Supper is going to be spaghetti and meat sauce :) yum! We have been doing really well eating at home everyday of the week, but once a week so far :) hopefully I can keep this up to save money and be healthy even if we do eat whatever we want, home cooked is still better than fast food.

Going back to work now.

2 comments:

  1. I take offense to the assumption that most women like to have someone help them. A little sexist are we Kelli?

    ReplyDelete